Why virtual worlds?
Schools and colleges all around the world are discovering the power of virtual world-based education initiatives for both on-campus and distance learning.
Any student will tell you that reading pages out of text books is not a fun way to learn, and research has shown that a fun, engaging learning experience leads to higher information retention.
Imagine your students are playing games and socializing and at the same time, they are learning the coursework and putting it use. Virtual worlds for education offer an immersive, engaging learning environment that no traditional platform can compete with.
- U.S. Department of Education: Evaluation of Evidence-Based Practices in Online Learning (PDF)
- Horizon Report 2010 K-12 Edition (PDF)
- Minds on Fire: Open Education, the Long Tail, and Learning 2.0 (PDF)
- NACOL: A Summary of Research on the Effectiveness of K-12 Online Learning (PDF)
- Science Thrives in Virtual Worlds (MSNBC)
- Second Life: an overview of the potential of 3-D virtual worlds in medical and health education
"Bill Prensky and the staff at CNDG were great hosts for our tour of SecondLife! They provided an immersive experience without overwhelming the "newbies." It was amazing that they had everyone up-and-running in-world within 5-10 minutes. From there it was a seamless transition through virtual training facilities, playhouses and college campuses. It was a great experience for all of those involved and gave them a sense of the possibilities of virtual worlds."Andy Petroski, Director of Learning Technologies
Harrisburg University of Science & Technology